Nigerian business tycoon and Africa’s richest man, Aliko Dangote, has pledged to donate $10m (£7m) to assist families affected by Boko Haram’s insurgency.
Dangote announced the donation while visiting refugee camps in Borno state with its governor Kashim Shettima on Monday May 9, 2016. Welcoming the donation, Mr Shettima said: “Our people are in dire straits and there is only so much that we can do with our limited resources.”
The business tycoon said his main priority was to help curb malnutrition and hunger in the camps, and to then create education and job opportunities for people.
“This is not the first time I am coming here and it will not be the last,” Mr Dangote said, adding that he had previously donated about $6m to tackle the humanitarian crisis in Borno and two other north-eastern states affected by the insurgency
The pledged donation is one of the biggest supports by a businessman towards easing a humanitarian crisis which has left more than two million people homeless.
However, some Nigerian businessmen have been accused of failing to fulfill pledges made to the government in the previous years.
An official told the BBC that unlike others, Mr Dangote had kept previous promises.
A leaked World Bank report estimates that about 30% of 3.2 million private homes have been destroyed in the state, which has been worst-affected by the insurgency in north-eastern Nigeria.
Meantime, the Nigerian government has urged people to return to areas recaptured from the militant Islamist group
A prominent Nigerian cleric Bishop Mike Bamidele said churches have also been destroyed, and called on the government to help rebuild them.